Palo Santo (Bursera graveolens) is a tree that’s native to Peru, Ecuador, and other South American countries. And there 7 interesting benefits Palo Santo may provide you (keep reading to find out!)
The word Palo Santo also means “holy wood” or “wood of the saints” is a mystical tree that grows on the coast of South America and is related to Frankincense, Myrrh and Copal.
For thousand of years, the wood, resin, and oil have been used for medicinal purposes. It’s even also used to treat pain and stress. It’s also said to have the ability to clear negative energy. Although, there isn’t much scientific proof behind these benefits, it still has been used by indigenous people for centuries.
There are many things and benefits of Palo Santo that you probably didn’t know about, let’s explore what they are:Forms Of palo santo
Forms of Palo santo
There are many ways you can use palo santo and the different forms they take:
- The Palo santo wood contains an aromatic resin which can be extracted and used separately for some purposes.
- Wood. The wood of the palo santo tree is available in different forms such as sticks,chips or powder. It mostly comes from the branches of the tree.
- Oil. The essential oil of palo santo can be gotten from the wood and fruit.
7 benefits of palo santo
1 .Palo santo can help with relaxation
Many people like to burn a stick of palo santo when they intend to meditate. As its said to help with a relaxed and connected mind.
The lovely earthy, sweet and citrusy smell helps change the energy inside the room, which makes a meditation session go smoothly .
2 . Palo santo can help with pain reduction
Another supposed benefit of palo santo is pain relief. Many people like to use palo santo to treat several types of pain such as headaches, sore throats, and arthritis.
But this effect may be related to limonene. In a review done in 2017, it was found that it contains analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
But Keep in mind that there much hard proof that palo santo has the same effect so more research is needed.
3 . You can cleanse your environment with palo santo
Due to the fact that palo santo is quite similar to Sage and Cedar, it is also used widely for spiritual purification and energy (house) cleansings. The smoke from the burning of the wood sticks is believed to clear negative energy and restore tranquility and emotions in a place.
You May Also Read
- 13 Essential Oils: Their Benefits And How To Use Them.
- What Is The Average Height For Women
- The effects of stress on the body and how to manage it
- Benefits of regular physical activity on mental health.
- 12 Types of Herbal teas and their benefits
4 . Repel mosquitoes
Burning the palo santo wood can help create an uplifting, pleasant, fresh smoke that is bake to keep mosquitoes and other insects away. So at night time you can enjoy a non-buzzy night sleep!
5 . Help improve stress response
A lot of people find the aroma of relaxing so it’s commonly used to ease stress.
6 . Helps improve mood
Palo Santo can help with mood improvement and self esteem boost. It can help raise the level of calmness and tranquility in your home, and the environment where it’s aroma is released.
7 . Helps with intimacy
It is an aphrodisiac which can help stimulate sweetness which can help with ability to give and receive love between couples.
Some sexologist suggest using it in the bedroom to achieve a more intimate and pleasurable moment.
Are there side effects?
So far, there aren’t any side effects linked to palo santo. However, you may want to take caution if:
- it’s your first time using the oil. It’ll be better if you run a little test, if your skin becomes or irritated, stop usage immediately.
- You’re pregnant or lactating. It’s advisable to not use palo santo oil or incense during this period.
- Breathing or lung problems. You may want to avoid burning palo santo, which lead to the worsening of your symptoms.
Many people use palo santo for several reasons but it is important to understand that not much research or studies to fully back these claims. It is better to consult your health provider if you want to try palo santo for medical uses.